Sunday, March 16, 2008

New technologies make it easier than ever to communicate with friends and family. Before the telephone there were very limited ways to communicate between people. Then the invention of the telephone which revolutionized communication. At the time of it's invention, the telephone was an amazing piece of technology. But now there is e-mail, mobile phones, Facebook, MySpace, forums, message boards, online games, and even YouTube. I wonder what Alexander Graham Bell would do if he saw someone walking around talking on a mobile phone or checking there Facebook?

Today my main uses of communication tech are e-mail, my mobile phone, and Facebook. The easiest way to communicate in today's age is the mobile phone. It seems as though everybody and their brother has a mobile phone. Before I left the States I remember seeing kids that couldn't have been older than 10 or 12 and they had their own mobile phone. I don't see what need those kids possessed to own their own mobile phone. None the less, mobile phones seem to have become a necessary part of today's society.

I've had a phone since I was able to drive at 16, and I've been on Facebook for about 2 years now. The phone seemed like a sort of right of passage. I need a phone once I became able to drive so it kind of went hand and hand for me. As far as Facebook goes my friends talked me into getting one. I didn't even want to set it up so I made them do it. Privacy became an issue very quickly when Facebook became popular. A lot of people complained when it was opened up to everyone and not just students at Uni. There has been a lot of changes made since it's start to make every user control the amount of information that he or she wants to divulge to the general public. I really didn't use e-mail until I started Uni about 3 years ago. There really wasn't much need for me to e-mail people, everyone I wanted to talk to I could just call. E-mail isn't the most efficient way to communicate with people and it has it's place but I feel as though it is slowly being phased out by newer, faster, better technologies.

No comments: