Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wikipedia
This entry is going to be about examining two non-related articles on Wikipedia. The first article that I examined was on snowboarding. Overall it was an accurate article. There could have been much more information, but for the information that was provided it was all accurate. When reading I understood everything that had been written, but that's also because I snowboard and know all of the terminology. But if someone had no idea what it was, they might have trouble following some of the technical terminology. I think that today most of the earths population knows what snowboarding is, granted they may have never participated in the sport, but they know at least what it looks like. The article, for the most part, follows Widipedia's guidelines for the ideal article. The guidelines are: neutral, referenced, and encyclopedic, containing notable, verifiable knowledge. There was nothing written about how snowboarding is better than any other sport or that it was worse. There were references in some sections, but not all. And there was very little written that was opinion based. The article was very unbiased towards or against snowboarding.
If I were to change the article, I would add more specific information about each section. Each section, as is, has only a short amount of information written about the topic and had much room for expansion. I would also add some sort of term dictionary so that people that know less about the sport can look up terms that they don't know and find out what they mean to understand the article better.


The next article I reviewed was about my home town of Negaunee, Michigan. For the most part the article was fairly accurate. I'm not an expert on all of the history but from what I did know, it matched up with the article fairly well. I feel there was a lot of information that was left out and that could be put into the article to make it better. But for the most part the article covered the basis of what the city is about and how it came to be. The article somewhat followed the guidelines. Again the guide lines are: neutral, referenced, and encyclopedic, containing notable, verifiable knowledge. There were some things written that were bias towards Negaunee that makes me believe that a local resident wrote the article and not a historian from the area. The article did not have sources but it did have links to other sites related directly with Negaunee that you could check the information with. There was a lot of information that could be verified in the article but then again as I had mentioned earlier there was also some information that was bias and an obvious opinion of the author.
If I were to change the article in some way, I would go back through and re-write it using historical sites and texts. I would also add more detailed information, unlike the vague and brief synopsis of the city that was written in the article.

No comments: